We will discuss this event in class using the following resources:
- Do Leaders Have Moral Obligations?
- Penn State Scandal: Timeline of sex abuse scandal that has rocked Happy Valley
- A blog from Omelas State University that I will share in PRINT ONLY. The language is too strong to share so I had to clean it up, but it is a very well-written perspective.
Once we discuss this in class your job is to write a response to the following questions which have been taken from the NY Times post:
- Tell us how far you think responsibility extends for leaders like Joe Paterno.
- Do they generally have a moral obligation to take action in cases that do not necessarily fall under their specific authority? Or is that too high a standard?
- Is it enough to have major achievements and a great deal of respect?
- Or does leadership carry with it higher responsibilities?